When the Southern Baptist Convention meets in Indianapolis on June 15-16, one Missouri Baptist will be nominated as an SBC officer, seven will serve on appointed committees and six will be nominated to serve on SBC and agency boards.
Gerald Davidson, pastor of First Baptist Church in Arnold the past 27 years, will be nominated for first vice president of the convention by Adrian Rogers, pastor of Bellevue Baptist Church, Memphis, and a former SBC president.
SBC president Jack Graham appointed Mitchell L. Jackson, pastor of Miner Baptist Church, Sikeston, and Bruce McCoy, pastor of Canaan Baptist Church, St. Louis, to the 70-member Committee on Committees.
The committee nominates members of the Committee on Nominations, which, in turn, nominates trustees in 2005 to serve on the various national entities of the SBC.
Graham also named Jeff Purvis, pastor of Westport Community Church, St. Louis, as chairman of the Credentials Committee, which will serve during the Indianapolis convention. Other Missourians appointed to that committee were Jon Groves, associate pastor of Living Word Baptist Church, Poplar Bluff, and Jim Locke, pastor of First Baptist Church, Forsyth.
Graham appointed Missourians Larry Craig, pastor of Skyline Baptist Church, Branson, and Harvey Parker, music minister at First Baptist Church, St. Joseph, to the Tellers Committee that will serve during the June convention.
Missouri Baptists who have been nominated to positions on SBC boards and agencies and will be considered during the Indianapolis meeting include:
- Randy A. Johnson, pastor of First Baptist Church, Kimberling City, nominated to a second term on the SBC Executive Committee.
- John E. Greever, pastor of First Baptist Church, Fenton, nominated to a second term on the International Mission Board.
- Gary A. Grunick, member of First Baptist Church, St. Peters, nominated to LifeWay Christian Resources.
- David L. Baker, pastor of Heartland Family Ministries, Belton, nominated for a second term to Southern Baptist Theological Seminary in Louisville, Ky.
- Cindy Province of Defiance, nominated for a second term to Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary in Wake Forest, N.C.
- Jackie C. Jackson of Ellisville, nominated to Midwestern Baptist Theological Seminary.